My Mom would have been 57 today; 52
is too young to die, but we did have five wonderful years with her. After her
diagnosis with non-smoking lung cancer, she was given six months to live, but
she then lived 5 ½ years. This was in
spite of the fact that it was in her bones, and other places in her body. I
live 1,000 miles away from my hometown, and so this was very hard for me. When Grandma
Tess was experiencing all Mom did I, thankfully, only lived a mile way. I was
spoiled to see Mom every few months. Each plane ticket was worth every single
penny. I went there so often, friends wondered if I even left. Mom went through so much, for so long, and
hardly had a break from treatment. She was always in pain, but never
complained. The day before Mom died was very hard. I hated to see her with so
much anxiety. I’d rather Mom join her
mom and brother in the spirit world, than to see her suffer. I am grateful she
no longer has physical pain and won’t have to experience it again. I know if
she were alive now, it would be unbearable for her to watch me being diagnosed
with cancer, surgeries I’ve had and other treatments.
When I was 15, my appendix ruptured
and I had an appendectomy, after confirming I had appendicitis. My pediatrician
had told me I had the flu (lasting a week). My parents took me to the ER, late
at night, after having uncontrollable chills. Because I waited so long, my surgeon
told me he had never seen a ruptured appendix in as many pieces as mine. When I
was being prepped for surgery, my Mom literally threw up, knowing I had
appendicitis. She was trying to convince the surgeon I didn’t have
appendicitis.
“Look, I just threw up; she has the
flu and I caught it.” As a consequence, for my appendix rupturing, I had to be
in the hospital for a week. During that week, mom was admitted into the hospital
due to adhesions from past surgeries, she became my hospital roommate. It has
been almost 19 years since I had that appendectomy. I don’t remember exactly what the onset of the
adhesions was, but I remember we were attributing it to her constant concern
for me. Since Mom responded the way she did when I had appendicitis, who knows
how she would respond after I was diagnosed with cancer. Of course, she is aware of all of this beyond
the veil, but I’m certain she has a better perspective and understanding. We
are all here to be tested, beyond what we think is possible. After her passing,
I’m sure she knew about my breast cancer diagnosis and all the treatments
thereafter. I know she was in the room when the breast surgeon told me I have breast
cancer, during my initial visit with my oncologist, and appointments
thereafter. I have felt her presence on multiple occasions. I know she was
there by my side, when I was wheeled into the OR for my mastectomy in 2011,
hysterectomy in 2012, and craniotomy in 2013, as well as my chemo and radiation
appointments. I am abundantly grateful for the knowledge of the plan of
salvation, and to know I will see her again. I have been blessed with so many
tender mercies in the last three years. Mom is such a mother bear! She has been
and will be at my side forever, especially with my current issues.
|
|
![]() |
| 4 Generations |
![]() |
| by the "Minchey Temple" in Emery, UT |








No comments:
Post a Comment