Monday, January 30, 2012

Fugere Family Happenings

It snowed! Well 2 weeks ago anyhow (above picture was taken before EVERYTHING was covered with snow) right around the time I had a hysterectomy. Surgeon's office called the day before surgery and asked if I still wanted to have surgery in the morning. I was over half way through my 48 hour clear liquid diet at the time and hating it, (food never looked so good to me in those 48 hrs) I didn't want to start over. I told his assistant that we would chance the roads. I was told that the hospital would call if anything changed. I prayed and prayed and prayed that I wouldn't get a call telling me the surgery is canceled because the roads are so bad. The roads were bad, but we got there safely and the surgery went as planned. When I first started to get hooked up to an I.V. I told the nurse that I have a port hoping they can use that, but I was told they only use ports as a last resort. I've never had someone have such a hard time getting a vein, but amongst 2 nurses I was poked 6-7 times and they finally got the I.V. nurse. I told her I have a port "oh you have a port. We can use the port." They still needed a back up vein. Once I was in the operating room the anesthesiologist said "I see a nice big vein on her neck that I can get in three seconds." Thankfully he waited till I was knocked out to get it. Aside from getting a full hysterectomy at 32 years old a benign tumor was taken out as well (reasoning for surgery.) Apparently now that I have had this surgery my oncologist will be able to put me on a different medication that is better for treating breast cancer. All around my surgeon said the surgery is a good call. At this time I am so grateful for my 2 little darlings and to have such a wonderful supportive husband who I love more and more each day.


3 comments:

Shay said...

Glad to hear the surgery went okay, we were thinking about you! I hope you're recovering alright also.

Brianne said...

I'm glad the surgery went well. I hate when they can't find a vein! You and your family have been in our prayers!

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been, so thank you for the update! Luckily we were out of town and missed the huge storm, but I'm so glad you got to the hospital just fine, and that your surgery went well. Take care of yourself and know that we love you! Your kids are so cute, they are lucky to have you as their mom as well!