Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Cancer Update

I’ve come to know more now than ever that everything takes time; PET scans, MRIs, scheduling surgery, recovering from surgery, getting an echo gram, figuring out the best course of action and taking it to a tumor board (where a bunch of doctors get together once a week and come to a consensus of what’s best for different patients)…
I was released from the hospital last Tuesday night (Feb 22nd). I was only there over night which I’m so grateful for those hospital beds are so uncomfortable and apparently I was getting out of bed by myself too many times that they activated the bed alarm to make sure I didn’t do it again. During surgery 13 lymph nodes were taken out and all of them were involved and there were 3 tumors taken out (I thought there was 2 the second one I felt suddenly showed up the day I made an appointment to get the original checked out. It started out small enough to where I wasn't sure if it was a lump, but it quickly got bigger and unmistakable.) As of now I feel in many ways things are not going quick enough, but at the same time tests take time and getting the results take time too. Right now the only cancer treatment I’m getting is in pill form that I take once a day at least this is better than nothing as I recover enough from surgery to get chemo. Monday I had a post op appointment and an appointment with my Oncologist in a nut shell I was told I at least have stage 3C breast cancer. I have a spot on my spine (lower neck) that is most likely cancerous and related to the breast cancer. If this is the case than my “disease” is stage 4 and treatable, but not curable (patients in my potential condition are treated for many years) I will have moments where I’m in remission, but the cancer will come back. If the cancer on my spine is not related to the breast cancer it is curable and I will be treated for 16 weeks and I’ll be hit hard with 3 different Chemo drugs by way of IV and it sounds like I'll need radiation too. To know for sure if the spot is related I either need a biopsy or see how the spot reacts to treatment. This is what I know so far. My doctor called me Monday night and told me that she is going to take my records to the tumor board next Monday and see what all the other doctors say is the best way to treat me.
The fact that I have breast cancer is finally sinking in, but still I can’t believe this is all happening. I’ve been told that it is all in timing and it is the Lord’s will. I wonder sometimes if it was the Lord’s will for me to think my lump had to do with nursing and it would go away. I wonder if it is the Lord’s will that I waited far too long to check out my lump therefore have encountered a very aggressive form of cancer at 31 years old.
My insurance called me yesterday thinking I needed to talk to a social worker for depression due to all that is happening. I chuckle at the thought and told them I’m not depressed and I have a great support group of family and friends. The gospel makes this whole thing so much easier as well as all who support me; a great family, friends including my ward family at church who have already done so much.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR PRAYERS AND FAST

4 comments:

Brianne said...

Kim, you're making me cry! We love you and your family so much! You are an amazing woman and I admire your strength and faith. I know the road is tough, but you can do it. I'm always available to help in any way needed, so please don't hesitate to ask. And if you don't ask I might just show up on your doorstep ;-).

Layla said...

Kim! How did I not know about this earlier? Totally heart broken and crying at work. I am so so sorry. You and your family are in our prayers. Are you still in Renton? I will come down anytime to help in any way you need.

You are one of the strongest woman that I know. I continue to be amazed by your grace and attitude that you have with trials. Miss and love you.

The Marlin's said...

Hi Kim, I'm a friend of Michelle's we taught in Utah together. I know exactly how you feel I just got over my treatments for non-hodgkins lymphoma. The support you have will amaze you. Stranger are praying for you. My cancer was extremely aggressive but I knew I would get through it with so many people behind me praying for me. My motto was and is I have to get better I have no other choice I have my babies I have to take care of. You and your family are in my prayers.

Shay said...

Hi Kimberly! For some reason the last post didn't show up on my newsfeed so I'm just now finding out about your diagnosis. I'm so sorry. Know that you will be in our prayers and I know if anyone is strong enough to make it through this, it's you.